The September 21, 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum on Earthquakes had CE Credit from the Oklahoma Bar, Real Estate Commission, and Oklahoma Insurance Department. General topics and Speakers:
- What’s causing earthquakes in Oklahoma, with Jeremy Boak, PhD, Director Oklahoma State Geological Survey
- Construction methods to mitigate the impact of earthquakes, with Christopher Ramseyer, PhD, PE, Director OU's Fears Structural Engineering Lab
- Insurance options to protect your property, with Buddy Combs, Director of Public Policy and Assistant General Counsel, Oklahoma Insurance Department
After lunch, Trent England (VP Vice President for Strategic Initiatives at Oklahoma Council for Public Affairs) led a brainstorming session with questions from the audience, including a discussion of recommendations for the future.
The 2016 Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum™ was sponsored by the Central Oklahoma Commercial Association of REALTORS© with support from the National Association of REALTORS© Commercial Innovation Grant.
Central Oklahoma Home Builders Association - Event Center
420 E Britton Rd
Oklahoma City, OK 73114
For more information contact the COCAR Chair of the Advocacy / Government Affairs Committee:
Bart Binning, Ed.D. (bart@BartBinning.com)
Save the Date:
2017 Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum™
Topic: Municipal Funding
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
Place: Central Oklahoma Home Builders Association Event Center
420 E. Britton Road / Oklahoma City, OK 73114
The Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum ™ is a periodic event presented by the COCAR Advocacy / Government Affairs Committee. The event examines a topic of concern to the commercial real estate industry. Before lunch we bring in an interdisciplinary group industry experts to discuss various aspects of the topic. During lunch the attendees have Out-of-the-Box table discussions and develop questions for a speaker panel. After lunch the speakers participate in a panel discussion, answering audience questions, and (optionally) make recommendations.
- CE Credit is requested from various professional disciplines, including Real Estate, Attorney, Insurance, and Real Estate Appraisers, and the Congress for the New Urbanism.
- A Review of the Forum will be published, after the event, on a webpage containing event materials and sponsor information.
The purpose of the September 13, 2017 Forum: Municipal Funding
is to examine the structure currently used for funding of Oklahoma's municipalities, and suggest potential reforms. We indent to request CE Credit from the Oklahoma Real Estate Commission, Oklahoma Bar Association, Congress for the New Urbanism, and others. The general format (with currently scheduled speakers) will be to:
- before lunch - examine the basics of municipal funding in Oklahoma, both capital and operational, including general fund, sales tax, ad valorem tax (including Tax Incremental Financing and Improvement Districts) and impact development fees; also review urban renewal/redevelopment and brownfields
- What are the funding sources currently available to Oklahoma municipalities and how do they impact economic development? (Presented by Dr. Russell Evans, Economic Business & Research Policy Institute, Minders School of Business, Oklahoma City University)
- How is the Transportation Department prioritizing state revenues. Can it be applied elsewhere? (Presented by Bobby Stem, Executive Director, Association of Oklahoma General Contractors)
- Out - of - the - Box ideas for municipal funding and accountability? (Present by Gary Jones, Oklahoma State Auditor)
- What are the best practices in municipal funding and accountability? (Presented by a representative from the Oklahoma Council on Public Affairs)
- lunch - Table talk on what we have learned and develop questions for the after-lunch panel
- after lunch - moderated panel discussion with regional mayors / city managers to develop some form of common goal for future municipal funding (Moderated by a representative from the Oklahoma Municipal League)
Contact us with your suggestions:
Bart Binning, Ed. D., Bart@BartBinning.com